Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:23:54 -0800
From: Markus Mayer <mmayer@...adcom.com>
To: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Alyssa Ross <hi@...ssa.is>, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Subject: Re: git cloning over https?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 14:12, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:

> On 1/13/2022 1:53 PM, Alyssa Ross wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 01:44:23PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> >> Would you consider allowing git.musl-libc.org to serve the repositories over
> >> https rather than git? For some obscure reasons some corporate environments
> >> do block the git protocol whereas https goes through.
> >
> > You should be able to git clone https://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl.
> > It is quite slow though -- since it looks like cgit is serving, this
> > is presumably because cgit's built-in git serving feature only supports
> > the legacy ("dumb") HTTP program, not the fast ("smart") one used by
> > git http-backend, which would be a nice infrastructure improvement.
>
> I don't seem to be able to get cloning from cgit to work either and not
> doing this in the corporate environment I vaguely mentioned but over my
> home residential provider (Cox). git:// works.

Interestingly, it worked for me. Kind of. It is *extremely* slow. It
took about 15 minutes to clone the repo, which isn't big at all and
should take no more than a minute to transfer (likely a lot less).

Interestingly, the local clone created via cgit and https is 52 MB in
size while a clone via the git:// protocol is only 20 MB. Something
"interesting" seems to be happening when cloning via cgit. The repo
does seem to be fully functional, though.

Regards,
-Markus