Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 10:21:33 +1100
From: Matt Andrews <mattandrews@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Newbie cross compiling with LLVM

> Have try with setting passing AR=clang-ar?

I actually set

    AR=/usr/lib/llvm-13/bin/llvm-ar

Then I set

    RANLIB=/usr/lib/llvm-13/bin/llvm-ranlib

That got me a little further down the road, but now I'm getting this error

    /usr/bin/ld: unrecognised emulation mode: armelf_linux_eabi
    Supported emulations: elf_x86_64 elf32_x86_64 elf_i386 elf_iamcu
elf_l1om elf_k1om i386pep i386pe
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

I added this to CFLAGS

    -B/usr/lib/llvm-13/bin

But it still uses the system linker.

How do I specify which linker to use?

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 at 09:44, Quentin Rameau <quinq@...th.space> wrote:

> > Hello everyone,
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> > I'm trying to cross compile from Ubuntu 20.04 to armv7a-linux-musleabihf
> > using LLVM. Configure looks like this
> >
> > ./configure \
> > --prefix=$VECX/usr \
> > --syslibdir=$VECX/lib \
> > --target=armv7a-linux-eabihf \
> > CC=/usr/lib/llvm-13/bin/clang \
> > CFLAGS="--target=armv7a-linux-eabihf -mcpu=cortex-a8"
> >
> > Then
> >
> > make && make install
> >
> > The compilation fails with the following
> >
> > make: armv7a-linux-eabihf-ar: Command not found
> > make: *** [Makefile:167: lib/libc.a] Error 127
> >
> > It's looking for an archiver from a cross compiler toolchain, but should
> be
> > using llvm-ar.
> >
> > Which configure options should I use to get LLVM to cross compile
> > successfully?
>
> Have try with setting passing AR=clang-ar?

Content of type "text/html" skipped