Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 21:29:39 +0200
From: Shiz <hi@...z.me>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: yuri.kanivetsky@...il.com
Subject: Re: getaddrinfo() fails for domains with no AAAA records
 (regression?)

> On 19 Jul 3 Reiwa, at 20:51, Yuri Kanivetsky <yuri.kanivetsky@...il.com> wrote:
>
> So you're saying that that is the registrar's fault (which also
> provides the name servers)? Can you possibly tell how this can be
> fixed? Other than by giving up on wildcard dns records?

Your registrar should return empty data responses if the domain exists,
but no records of the requested type are available for it. This is a
distinct response from the NXDOMAIN error response, which indicates
the domain doesn’t exist at all. This is specified by RFC1035[0] and
clarified further by RFC8020[1].

Appropriately, musl aborts the query if it gets such a response from the server[2].
The fact that it returns NXDOMAIN for AAAA-type queries if A-type record do in fact
exist would point to a bug in your registrar’s DNS implementation to me.

- Shiz

[0]: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1035 §4.1.1
[1]: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8020
[2]: https://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/src/network/res_msend.c?id=6a209f14ff7273d9429e5153c5b6b1990cb508e3#n149 (3 means NXDOMAIN)