Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 07:24:40 +0000
From: "Laurent Bercot" <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: option to enable eh_frame

>It is about debugging, but specifically enabling downstream users to do basic debugging without having to install the musl-dbg package.  This is commonly requested both in public Alpine channels, and also in various support engagements Alpine developers have with their customers in a personal capacity.  It has been a point of contention for many years in the Alpine community, as a result.

  From what I can see, this point of contention has not exactly stopped
Alpine's expansion.

  Using Alpine comes with benefits; it also comes with some drawbacks,
and every reasonable user should be able to understand this. As a
maintainer, it obviously makes sense to try and minimize these
drawbacks,
but are we really talking about a situation where the user's complaint
is 'I have to type "apk add musl-dbg" before performing debugging' ?

  Are we really talking about a situation where the proposed solution
to that complaint is *forking the libc that is a huge part of Alpine's
success in the first place* ?

  I suspect there is a lot being left unsaid here, because at face value,
the cost-benefit analysis is obvious and I don't understand how this is
even a question.

  Without any more information, what it looks like to me is corporate
lobbying, which Alpine has always managed to deal with in a reasonable
manner in the past and I am not sure what changed.

--
  Laurent