Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 14:38:57 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Sören Tempel <soeren@...ren-tempel.net>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Handling of non-location specific TZ values

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 07:46:51PM +0200, Sören Tempel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While debugging a test failure of the calendar application calcurse on
> Alpine I noticed that musl does not support TZ values which don't
> include area/location information, e.g. TZ=CET [0]. This is contrary to
> the documentation from the musl wiki which states the following [1]:
>
> 	The zoneinfo file is interpreted as an absolute pathname if it
> 	begins with a slash, a relative pathname if it begins with a
> 	dot, and otherwise is searched in /usr/share/zoneinfo,
> 	/share/zoneinfo, and /etc/zoneinfo.
>
> Since commit 5c4f11d995cf178b3146cde0734d6988c145f243 musl only consults
> the zoneinfo database if the value of the TZ environment variable starts
> with a colon or contains a slash [2]. As such, the zoneinfo database is
> not consulted for TZ=CET thereby causing musl to not determine DST etc.
> correctly for such TZ values. TZ values such as Europe/Kaliningrad are
> correctly looked up in the zoneinfo database though.

The behavior was the same before that commit except that a leading :
was not able to override the behavior and force inspection of a file.

> The aforementioned commit claims that this strict check is necessary
> since "TZ=name is reserved for POSIX-form" which consists of a mandatory
> timezone name (std), an offset, and some more optional information [3].
> **If** TZ values adhering to the POSIX format should not be looked up in
> the zoneinfo database, it would be necessary to somehow determine if a
> given string adheres to the POSIX timezone format before performing the
> lookup.

Yes. I suspect we can get by with calling getname with a dummy output
array, then checking if the next character is one of +, -, or a digit.
If not (in particular, if it's a null character) then we can attempt

It might be worth adding a special exception for "UTC" and "GMT" so
that they are always interpreted as "UTC0" and "GMT0" and can't be
overridden by a bogus file in the zoneinfo path, for the sake of
software that does "TZ=UTC cmd" to avoid any timezone shenanigans.

I wonder if we should also check the validity of the string after
CET, it doesn't get interpreted as if it were CET0 but instead as
UTC0. That would avoid bad surprises when the program prints %Z.

> The glibc implementation seems to unconditionally consult the zoneinfo
> database and falls back to the POSIX format (__tzset_parse_tz) if no
> corresponding file was found in the database [4]. Apart from glibc, the
> non-POSIX TZ format with TZ=<timezone> is also supported BSDs, e.g.
> OpenBSD [5].

glibc really should not be doing this...