Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 12:53:49 -0800
From: Fangrui Song <i@...kray.me>
To: Jiahao XU <Jiahao_XU@...look.com>
Cc: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>, Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
Subject: Re: Can’t build musl with lto=thin

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:04 PM Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net> wrote:

> * Jiahao XU <Jiahao_XU@...look.com> [2021-01-29 12:19:42 +0000]:
> > musl-1.2.2 compilation with clang-11 failed to build libc.so at the final linking stage:
> >     ld.lld: error: undefined hidden symbol: __dls2
> >     >>> referenced by ld-temp.o
> >     >>>                          lto.tmp:(_dlstart_c)
> >     >>> did you mean: __dls3
> >     >>> defined in: lto.tmp
>

> looks like a clang bug if -flto changes behaviour, doesn't it?

https://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2020/12/27/25

Clang tracks undefined symbols in module-level inline asm but does not
know undefined symbols in function-scope inline asm.
I don't know whether it makes sense to track function-scope inline asm
- it requires to scan every instruction in the bitcode file which is a
heavy operation and it is only relevant in this narrow usage.

If you build this file with LTO, the LTO backend will internalize
__dls2 and cause a subsequent "undefined reference" error unless you
specify -u __dls2
to mark __dls2 as "visibible to a regular object file" (a workaround)