Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 13:37:29 +0000
From: "Laurent Bercot" <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com, "Rich Felker" <dalias@...c.org>, "Arjun Shankar"
 <arjun@...hat.com>
Cc: "Florian Weimer" <fweimer@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Plans to remove nscd in Fedora

>My opinion is that we want something much thinner than nscd to provide
>NSS for statically linked applications, and that such an interface
>should not provide caching. If we really wanted we could keep the nscd
>socket interface but implement an NSS daemon for this e.g. nssd that would
>just run all the time and could be depended upon by static applications.
>It would have to be well audited and very simple.
>
>The caching that nscd does has many legacy problems that are better solved
>and maintained by other daemons that implement a split NSS module approach
>(as Florian notes).

  There is such an approach already:
  https://skarnet.org/software/nsss/

  It works, it just has not been integrated into distributions yet
because musl distributions, at the moment, are not much interested in
NSS functionality, and glibc distributions simply use nsswitch.
  If there is interest, I'll be happy to cooperate with any relevant
project to make sure it's suited to its needs.

--
  Laurent