Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 12:57:18 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: OS detection wrong on Alpine Linux 3.10

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 12:26 PM Ariadne Conill
<ariadne@...eferenced.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 2020-09-23 10:16, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> >> I can't know whether you're "willing", but you're definitely not
> >> willing and able. "All the..." includes people's personal projects
> >> (from scratch or patches to existing ones) that you will never see,
> >> future systems that come into existence long past your involvement in
> >> the project or even your lifetime, etc.
> >
> > Unless something has changed recently, Botan, Crypto++ and OpenSSL are
> > still being carried by most Linux distributions. OpenSSL is also
> > regularly distributed as part of other OSes, like AIX, Android, BSDs,
> > iOS, OS X and Solaris.
>
> You are dead wrong on this topic.  OpenSSL actually goes the other way
> and performs absolutely wacky tests like "are we running on big-endian
> amd64."  Any cryptography library is going to have to perform feature
> tests (either at build time or run time) to determine whether features
> like hardware acceleration are possible.

Sorry, my bad for the confusion.

Botan, Crypto++ and OpenSSL do not perform Autoconf-like compile-time
feature tests.

Botan has a configure-like program, but it is used to select
components. Preprocessor macros are used instead of feature tests.

Crypto++ uses preprocessor macros. Preprocessor macros are used
instead of feature tests. (This is slowly changing in Crypto++).

OpenSSL uses a preconfigured profile. './Configure LIST' will list the
profiles. It uses info from the profile and preprocessor macros are
used instead of feature tests.

Jeff