Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:17:36 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: OS detection wrong on Alpine Linux 3.10

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 5:11 PM Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org> wrote:

> >>  I'm not trying to tell you you're not a grown-up programmer. I'm
> >>  trying to tell you that the answer to the question you're asking ("is
> >>  this musl?") is not meaningful for achieving what you presumably want
> >>  to achieve -- assisting the program using autoconf tests in
> >>  automatically producing a build that works on the intended host.
> >
> >That assumes a project is Autotools based.
>
>   No, it does not. It assumes that the project's authors are attempting
> to produce a working project, including detection of implementation-
> defined behaviour wherever the project relies on them. "autoconf tests"
> is a shortcut that means "tests performed at build time that do such
> detection", because autoconf is the most widely known program that
> produces such tests and everyone understands the expression.

No, I said "Autotools (or other similar programs)".

All I need is GNU Make and preprocessor macros. It is a marriage made in heaven.

I don't want or need a configuration program. A configuration program
is another point of failure. It causes mailing list messages and bug
reports for me. I don't want to waste my time with them.

>   But it doesn't mean that a project has to use autotools. My projects
> don't, and never will; however, they do perform feature detection at
> build time, because it's necessary for what they do.
>
>   If a project relies on implementation-defined behaviour and does not
> perform detection, then it is broken and needs to be fixed. If its
> build system does not allow it to perform detection, then it needs to
> switch to a better build system.

Again, your opinion. I have build systems that work perfectly except
when I have to jump through hoops for Musl.

You are trying to set policy for me. (That's what Bruno said earlier,
in not so many words). Don't do that.

All I need to know is what version of Musl I am dealing with and I can
configure myself.

Jeff