Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 16:39:12 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Bruno Haible <bruno@...sp.org>, "Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv@...linux.org>, config-patches@....org
Subject: Re: Re: OS detection wrong on Alpine Linux 3.10

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 2:46 PM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> > > There is one kinda legitimate purpose for detecting specifically musl:
> >
> > It is not your role to tell us which code we write is "legitimate" and
> > which code is not. I am a grown-up programmer.
>
> I'm not trying to tell you you're not a grown-up programmer. I'm
> trying to tell you that the answer to the question you're asking ("is
> this musl?") is not meaningful for achieving what you presumably want
> to achieve -- assisting the program using autoconf tests in
> automatically producing a build that works on the intended host.

That assumes a project is Autotools based.

I know of at least four projects that don't use Autotools (or other
similar programs) because they don't want the dependency (and problems
that come with the dependency).

Speaking from experience, Autotools is a mess, especially for C++
projects. I would not wish it on an enemy.

Jeff