Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 13:46:25 +0200
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: OS detection wrong on Alpine Linux 3.10

* A. Wilcox:

> If a downstream needs to care about a behaviour of setlocale, they can
> write an autoconf macro testing the behaviour, and then use that.  Then
> when glibc and/or musl and/or FreeBSD and/or $platform_of_the_week
> changes its behaviour, the test suite still passes without me having to
> dive into horrible m4 code and making me extremely angry for a week.

If it's a run-time property, it should really be a run-time check,
otherwise cross-compilers will break.

There are things that are not open to run-time checks, though, like the
presence of symbol versioning support in the dynamic loader.  Ideally,
musl applications would be built with a toolchain that completely lacks
symbol versioning support, but that's not what happens in practice.

Thanks,
Florian
--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill