Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 06:18:13 -0600
From: Ariadne Conill <ariadne@...eferenced.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Bruno Haible <bruno@...sp.org>,
 "Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv@...linux.org>
Cc: config-patches@....org
Subject: Re: Re: OS detection wrong on Alpine Linux 3.10

Hello,

On 2020-09-20 05:19, Bruno Haible wrote:
> Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
>> Is this __DEFINED_va_list macro the official way of detecting musl?
>
> No, but in a world where the musl people don't want to provide an official
> way [1][2] and the Alpine Linux people break their previously working way of
> detecting musl [3], we (GNU) need to use our own heuristics to fulfil the
> practical need of programs (especially test suites) to distinguish musl
> systems from glibc systems.

Actually, it was a bug, and only affects Alpine Linux 3.10.0.  Any
3.10.x release newer than that will work just fine with the pre-existing
checks.

I don't really think it is necessary to have this check, as the
likelihood of anyone building GNU software by hand on Alpine Linux
3.10.0 at this point is low.

Ariadne