Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 13:51:00 +0200
From: Natanael Copa <ncopa@...inelinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Subject: Re: Restrictions on child context after multithreaded fork

> 15. aug. 2020 kl. 08:51 skrev Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>:
>
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 17:41:38 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
>
>> musl 1.2.1 has exposed bugs in several applications and libraries
>> caused by async-signal-unsafe code between (multithreaded) fork and
>> subsequent exec. So far, dbus library code, pulseaudio library code,
>> and libvirt have been found to be affected. A couple of the bug
>> reports (with incomplete information) are:
>>
>> https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues/11602
>> https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues/11815
>
> Add to that list glib and libvte.
>
> XFCE4 became quite unusable due to glib. Fortunately, it was fixed
> quite fast, and is merged for Alpine already:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues/2140
>
> Unfortunately, libvte duplicates the some of the code and the issue:
> there's https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/vte/-/issues/263
> That got fixed relatively fast too in git master, but is not backported
> to any stables branch. So that's not merged yet in Alpine. And is
> causing still random lock ups in e.g. xfce4-terminal.

xfce4-terminal was more or less completely useless so I had to add a workaround for it in two patches:

First uncover a useless setenv. Even the comment in the code says that it has no effect:
https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/commit/community/vte3?id=ad687b01b2a5fa9d53fcd9d0ee3743882f3542b4

In the second patch I use some of the hunks in the upstream and replace malloc with alloca:
https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/commit/community/vte3?id=161434fcb87807dae40dffdd332db1624b747bc7

After that xfce4-terminal becomes useable again.

-nc