Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 09:27:28 -0600
From: Ariadne Conill <ariadne@...eferenced.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: friendly errors for ABI mismatch

Hello,

On 32-bit systems, musl 1.2 has a new ABI (due to time64).  This results in
programs built against musl 1.2 failing to run against musl 1.1.  That part is
fine, but you get an error message about being unable to relocate symbols,
which is not really insightful if you don't know about the ABI break.

glibc, on the other hand, has a minimum version specified in every binary, and
prints an error message saying the glibc is too old if this situation is
encountered.

I think we should add this feature to musl, so that in the future if we have
another ABI break, users will be given useful advice about how to fix it.  Due
to the relocation error message, a few Alpine contributors have been tripped
up while trying to debug their work...

Ariadne