Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 17:00:20 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Release prep for 1.2.1, and afterwards

* Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> [2020-07-06 18:12:43 -0400]:
> I think you saw already, but just to make it clear on the list too,
> it's upstream now. I'm open to further improvements like doing
> memmove (either as a separate copy of the full implementation or some
> minimal branch-to-__memcpy_fwd approach) but I think what's already
> there is sufficient to solve the main practical performance issues
> users were hitting that made aarch64 look bad in relation to x86_64.
>
> I'd still like to revisit the topic of minimizing the per-arch code
> needed for this so that all archs can benefit from the basic logic,
> too.

thanks.

note that the code has some internal .p2align
directives that assume the entry is aligned to
some large alignment (.p2align 6 in orig code)

i think it would be better to keep the entry
aligned (but i don't know if it makes a big
difference on some existing core, it's more
for consistency with upstream).

musl normally does not align function entries
but for a few select functions it is probably
not too much overhead?