Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 21:44:47 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Robert Skopalík <rs@...ome.cz>
Cc: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>,
	Miroslav Němeček <mn@...ome.cz>
Subject: Re: strtok

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 12:46:43AM +0000, Robert Skopalík wrote:
> I wouldn't like to bother you more than neccessary, but if you don't
> mind (as I hope :), I have one more question:
>
> Do we really need got table for a noMMU MCU? Fdpic uses it and I was
> looking for the answer what is it for pretty long - no success.
> Wouldn't it be enough just to keep the data segment offset in r9 and
> make all the data relative to it (in compiler)? That would get rid
> of the whole got table complexities. Bad idea? :)

That doesn't admit shared libraries, just multiple instances of the
same static-linked binary. It's not a supported ABI so you'd need to
hack up a toolchain and modified musl to do it.

On the other hand if you don't care about sharing text at all (might
be the case if yout text is expected to be very small anyway) you can
just use normal PIE binaries.

Rich