Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 21:12:51 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: sidneym@...eaurora.org
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: sigsetjmp

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 08:01:24PM -0500, sidneym@...eaurora.org wrote:

> [...]

By "HURD ABI" I just mean the fact that sigset_t is gratuitously 128
bytes rather than 8 bytes, because early glibc imagined uselessly
having 1024 signals like GNU HURD will someday do.

The point is that only the first 8 (or 16, on MIPS*) bytes of the
signal mask save area (__ss[]) are actually used for saving a signal
mask, and the rest is free for sigsetjmp to use for other purposes.

> So upon entry to sigsetjmp __ss[0] is holding the saved mask and using
> __ss[0] to buffer r16 will clobber it, correct?  As it is coded __ss[0] is
> just used over the call to setjmp to preserve the value of r16.

No, upon entry __ss[0] is uninitialized. __sigsetjmp_tail will store
the signal mask into it (and __ss[1], on 32-bit archs) before
returning to the caller, and on the second return (via siglongjmp)
will restore the signal mask from there.

> If __ss is r0+#64+4, then you are suggesting that I use r0+#64+4+8 or
> __ss[2]. I need to look into this some more because with that I'm have some
> testcase issues.

Yes, that sounds right. Look what other archs do. The arm version is
very easy to read.