Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 13:50:32 +0000
From: Joseph Myers <joseph@...esourcery.com>
To: Segher Boessenkool <segher@...nel.crashing.org>
CC: <libc-alpha@...rceware.org>, <eery@...erfox.es>, Daniel Kolesa
	<daniel@...aforge.org>, <musl@...ts.openwall.com>, Will Springer
	<skirmisher@...tonmail.com>, Palmer Dabbelt via binutils
	<binutils@...rceware.org>, via libc-dev <libc-dev@...ts.llvm.org>,
	<linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: ppc64le and 32-bit LE userland compatibility

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> > The supported glibc ABIs are listed at
> > <https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/ABIList>.
>
> powerpcle-linux already does work somewhat, and that should also he
> worth something, official or not ;-)
>
> (It has worked for very many years already...  That is, I have built it
> a lot, I have no idea about running a full distro that way).

Greg McGary's patches as referenced at
<https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/libc-hacker/2006-11/msg00013.html> were
never merged, and I don't know how big the changes to .S files were or if
they were ever posted.  Many files were subsequently fixed as part of
bringing up support for powerpc64le, but without actual 32-bit LE testing
as part of each release cycle there's not much evidence of correctness for
LE of code not used for powerpc64le.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@...esourcery.com