Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 16:08:32 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...tfix.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Outgoing DANE not working

https://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/commit/?id=fd7ec068efd590c0393a612599a4fab9bb0a8633

> I won't comment on distro maintainers who willingly break Postfix's
> security guarantees of DANE, without informing the user.

I'm not encouraging any to do that; rather I've encouraged them to
take measures to both:

(1) ensure that DANE is not silently ignored, by either patching
Postfix to work with old musl (prior to the above commit) or patching
the musl package and adding a dependency from the postfix package on
the updated musl package, and:

(2) not ship Postfix packages with DNSSEC/DANE disabled, because that
would encourage admins to switch DANE off in their config files to
"fix the breakage" after upgrading, then forget to turn it back on
once updated packages are available to make it work.

I haven't been through this with other distros yet, but Alpine folks
were committed to both of these principles.