Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 10:09:20 -0300
From: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval.zanella@...aro.org>
To: Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@...il.com>, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: binutils@...rceware.org, Christophe Leroy <christophe.leroy@....fr>,
 libc-alpha@...rceware.org, libc-dev@...ts.llvm.org,
 linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org, Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
 musl@...ts.openwall.com, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
 Vincenzo Frascino <vincenzo.frascino@....com>
Subject: Re: New powerpc vdso calling convention

On 26/04/2020 00:41, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
> Excerpts from Rich Felker's message of April 26, 2020 9:11 am:
>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 08:58:19AM +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Christophe Leroy's message of April 25, 2020 10:20 pm:

>>> Possibly can. It seems like a good idea to fix all loose ends if we are
>>> going to add new versions. Will have to check with the toolchain people
>>> to make sure we're doing the right thing.
>>
>> "ELFv1" and "ELFv2" are PPC64-specific names for the old and new
>> version of the ELF psABI for PPC64. They have nothing at all to do
>> with PPC32 which is a completely different ABI from either.
>
> Right, I'm just talking about those comments -- it seems like the kernel
> vdso should contain an .opd section with function descriptors in it for
> elfv1 calls, rather than the hack it has now of creating one in the
> caller's .data section.
>
> But all that function descriptor code is gated by
>
> #if (defined(__PPC64__) || defined(__powerpc64__)) && _CALL_ELF != 2
>
> So it seems PPC32 does not use function descriptors but a direct pointer
> to the entry point like PPC64 with ELFv2.

Yes, this hack is only for ELFv1.  The missing ODP has not been an issue
or glibc because it has been using the inline assembly to emulate the
functions call since initial vDSO support (INTERNAL_VSYSCALL_CALL_TYPE).
It just has become an issue when I added a ifunc optimization to
gettimeofday so it can bypass the libc.so and make plt branch to vDSO
directly.

Recently on some y2038 refactoring it was suggested to get rid of this
and make gettimeofday call clock_gettime regardless.  But some felt that
the performance degradation was not worth for a symbol that is still used
extensibility, so we stuck with the hack.

And I think having this synthetic opd entry is not an issue, since for
full relro the program's will be used and correctly set as read-only.
The issue is more for glibc itself, and I wouldn't mind to just remove the
gettimeofday and time optimizations and use the default vDSO support
(which might increase in function latency though).

As Rich has put, it would be simpler to just have powerpc vDSO symbols
to have a default function call semantic so we could issue a function
call directly.  But for powerpc64, we glibc will need to continue to
support this non-standard call on older kernels and I am not sure if
adding new symbols with a different semantic will help much.

GLibc already hides this powerpc semantic on INTERNAL_VSYSCALL_CALL_TYPE,
so internally all syscalls are assumed to have the new semantic (-errno
on error, 0 on success). Adding another ELFv1 would require to add
more logic to handle multiple symbol version for vDSO setup
(sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/dl-vdso-setup.h), which would mostly likely to
require an arch-specific implementation to handle it.