Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 08:19:29 -0500
From: <sidneym@...eaurora.org>
To: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Hexagon DSP support

Recently work has been done with clang/llvm/lld to extend support for
Qualcomm's Hexagon DSP to a Linux target.  At this point the publicly
available LLVM tools are able to build and run Hexagon programs via QEMU.
I've attached a patch that add the Hexagon bits to musl.  The optimized
routines have been purposely omitted to keep the size and complexity to a
minimum.

The changes are being mirrored here:
https://github.com/quic/musl/tree/hexagon
The QEMU mirror is here: https://github.com/quic/qemu
A description of the assembly language is here:
https://developer.qualcomm.com/download/hexagon/hexagon-v5x-programmers-refe
rence-manual.pdf?referrer=node/6116

The objective is to have enough freely available tools and libraries that
any user could develop code for the DSP.  The C-library is an important part
of that stack and this patch is intended to start a discussion of what would
need to happen in order for Hexagon to be added to the musl sources.

I've tested this using libc-test (git://repo.or.cz/libc-test) and 56 errors
are reported.  The support for Hexagon in QEMU is on-going and while some of
the errors (math) may be attributed to QEMU most also happen on hardware.  A
good chunk fail due to floating point exception status or precision.

Beyond the above testing a large number of packages have been built using
buildroot with our internal llvm tools.  No issues outside of tweaks to
avoid glibc assumptions were seen.

Download attachment "winmail.dat" of type "application/ms-tnef" (48509 bytes)