Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 17:05:27 +0200
From: Koen Vandeputte <koen.vandeputte@...ntric.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Simple question regarding read-write locks precedence

Hi All,

I've written a user app which make use of reader-writer locks.

Topology is pretty simple:

- 1 writer

- 4 readers

Writes only occur once in a while.

Readers are heavy users of the lock.

The default behavior in musl is Reader precedence.

In my usecase, it means that a writer never aquires the lock causing
writer starvation.

Debugging nicely shows that readers also "jump over" the waiting writer
as there is always at least 1 reader present in the critical section at
any time.

Going through the source code shows that there is no support for
specifying lock attributes which give writers precedence over readers.

Is there an update scheduled to add the required attribute types which
allow writer precedence to avoid starvation?

Thanks,

Koen