Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 11:40:49 +1100
From: Patrick Oppenlander <patrick.oppenlander@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: armv7-m musl 1.2.0 toolchain crash

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 4:54 AM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> Can you clarify if the change is that the toolchain is built against
> musl 1.2.0 and now malfunctioning, or trying to link to musl 1.2.0 and
> now malfunctioning? Those are very different and it's not clear which.

Sorry, my previous email was no where near clear enough. I'll try to
do better this time :)

All of my toolchains are built against glibc as I build them with the
default host compiler on my Arch Linux system.

I typed out a huge email detailing dozens of tests which I performed,
but it's all irrelevant and boils down to the following:

gcc   / binutils / musl  / C++ link
7.4.0 / 2.27     / 1.2.0 / works
7.4.0 / 2.32     / 1.2.0 / fails
7.4.0 / 2.33.1   / 1.2.0 / fails
7.4.0 / 2.34     / 1.2.0 / works (binutils-2.34 no mcm patches)
9.2.0 / 2.34     / 1.2.0 / works
9.3.0 / 2.34     / 1.2.0 / works (using mcm gcc 9.2.0 patches)

So it looks to me like there was a regression in binutils introduced
after version 2.27 and fixed in 2.34.

BTW, the gcc 9.2.0 patches apply with some fuzz to 9.3.0 with the
exception of 0017-pr93402.diff which is upstream. I'll do further
testing over the next week or two on the gcc 9.3.0 arm & armv7m
targets with binutils 2.34 and musl 1.2.0.

Hope that helps,

Patrick