Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:02:42 +0100
From: Brian Peregrine <peregrinebrian@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Advocating musl to the chromium OS developers

I started a thread at the Chromium OS google groups (called Chromium
OS: compile using musl as default ):
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-os-dev/iiDRh42EmvE

I think that it would benefit the Chromium OS, but they need to be
convinced more and want more proof (see reply by Kevin). I pointed
them to the musl vs glibc comparison table
(http://www.etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html ) but Mike said:

"the bloat comparison on the musl site is largely irrelevant to us.
it's interesting to embedded people, and to people making comparison
charts, but we could not care less about things like "Smallest static
C program" or "Static hello (using printf)".  we don't use static
programs, nor will we ever have any program *not* using a large set of
C library functionality.  plus, as Julius points out, the performance
comparison on that site already shows that glibc is generally better
than musl.

The idea why it would be important  to get them switched to musl is
because Google is behind Chromium OS and they also develop the
Chromium web browser (and the Chromium browser is in Chromium too I
believe). So, if Chromium OS changes to musl, they'll need to provide
far better support for musl in chromium browser too. Also, having
google developers help out on musl support in the other programs used
by Chromium OS is always a big benefit too.

So, if anyone has any good arguments, go ahead and post them at the
google groups thread (you however do need a google account to post).