Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 09:50:30 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PPC64(LE) support in musl requires ALTIVEC

On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 03:16:17PM +0100, Romain Naour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We noticed that musl toolchain doesn't work on PPC64 e5500 cpus due to
> Altived instructions in src/setjmp/powerpc64/setjmp.s [1].
>
> A patch has been sent by Vincent Fazio to the Buildroot mailing list to disable
> musl for such cpus [2].
>
> Maybe the supported-platforms list could be updated [3].
>
> [1] https://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/src/setjmp/powerpc64/setjmp.s#n74
> [2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1231986/
> [3] https://wiki.musl-libc.org/supported-platforms.html

Is this like the 32-bit Freescale things with the weird alternate FPU?
We support those for ppc32 as soft-float (and AIUI the ABI for use
with the FPU matches soft-float ABI, so in theory it could be
supported but we were never clear on whether it's IEEE-conforming) but
I wasn't aware of anything like that for 64-bit so it was never added.
Assuming it's the same concept, I don't see a reason we couldn't add
it.