Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 02:15:35 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Considering x86-64 fenv.s to C

* Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net> [2020-01-17 17:41:43 +0100]:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 02:36:20PM +1100, Damian McGuckin wrote:
> > Also, and I could be wrong, currently MUSL assumes that there is an integral
> > type for every floating type.
>
> Let me stop you there. Musl assumes that for long doubles, you can
> create a union ldshape. So there is no need for a 128 bit data type, a
> 64 bit one is good enough.

actually it's quite annoying to deal with N bit long double without
N bit int, because sometimes you want to fiddle with the bits using
int operations and if you don't have N bit int type you have to
deal with endianness (you can always copy the long double into an
array of bytes, but the layout of the bytes is not portable, same
for union with multiple fields: you need variants for different
endianness)