Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 09:13:09 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Considering x86-64 fenv.s to C

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 07:53:18PM -0800, David Edelsohn wrote:
> The latest iteration / evolution of the PowerPC architecture is called
> Power.  Power9 is the most recent processor with support for the most
> recent ISA.

Is this really relevant to the thread you replied to?

> If Intel Ice Lake is x86-64, then IBM Power9 is PowerPC64.

Both of these are true in the naming we're using.

> PowerPC64 Little Endian Linux ABI specifies Power8 as the minimum ISA.

We do not follow that and you're well aware of this. All earlier ISA
levels are supported in musl. Please do not reply into threads where a
contributor is looking for accurate information to state things which
do not apply to the project. Especially ones which are only
tangentially related to what you want to say.

> The basic ABI can run on earlier versions of the 64 bit PowerPC ISA,
> but it was helpful to define a new, minimum instruction set for Linux
> distribution releases during the switch to Little Endian.

We also don't have a "switch to little endian". Both endiannesses are
supported on any hardware capable of running them, and both use ELFv2
ABI because there never was a v1 ABI on musl (we added the arch long
after v2 was a thing).

> The switch to IEEE 128 bit FP came later and is not complete in the
> toolchains yet.  I believe that Musl already decided that it would
> ignore "long double" until IEEE 128 was available and would avoid the
> IBM double-double format.

long double in the musl ABI for both 32-bit and 64-bit ppc is same as
IEEE double. The IBM double-double format's semantics are not
compatible with musl code and most compilers do not support an ABI
with IEEE quad on ppc.