Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 05:53:15 -0600
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Justin <exitworld@...anota.com>
Subject: Re: utmp.h

On 26/12/2019 20:49, exitworld@...anota.com wrote:

> I believe the paths to utmp and wtmp are defined wrong in utmp.h. Right
> now they are defined in dev/null, when they should be /var/run/utmp and
> /var/log/wtmp. Please see man utmp(5) and the FHS 5.10.2 and 5.13.2
>
> you can respond if you'd like
>
> thank you,
> justin

Hi there Justin,

musl does not implement the utmp/wtmp family of functions itself[1]; it
only provides stubs so that software that uses them can build (but those
functions requiring utmp/wtmp will not work).

For full operation with the utmp(x) functions, you will need to use
something like skarnet's utmps[2], which implements these functions in a
secure manner.  Right now, there are only two distributions which offer
utmps: Adélie and NixOS.  I am not sure how well-integrated utmps is in
to NixOS, but at Adélie we have fully integrated it and all packages
that utilise the utmp functions work fully as intended.

I hope this helps.

Best,
--arw

[1]:
https://wiki.musl-libc.org/faq.html#Q:-Why-is-the-utmp/wtmp-functionality-only-implemented-as-stubs?
(though we at Adélie, obviously, disagree with the rationale)

[2]: https://skarnet.org/software/utmps/

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)