Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:58:31 +0100
From: Petr Vorel <petr.vorel@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>,
	Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
Subject: Re: [RFC] fanotify_event_info_fid incompatibility

Hi,

> * Petr Vorel <petr.vorel@...il.com> [2019-11-12 21:05:20 +0100]:
> > musl defines struct fanotify_event_info_fid member fsid as fsid_t. This
> > conflicts with version from Linux kernel, which defines it as __kernel_fsid_t
> > (musl's fsid_t has int __val[2], kernel's __kernel_fsid_t has int val[2]).

> > I see commit 32b82cf5 ("fix the fsid_t structure to match name of __val"),
> > which looks correct to me.

> > I also think it's wrong, that other libc (at least glibc, uclibc-ng, bionic)
> > don't define fanotify_event_info_fid and other structs thus users are forced to
> > use definition from <linux/fanotify.h>. But can be something done with this
> > incompatibility?

> yeah, glibc sys/fanotify.h just includes linux/fanotify.h
> which uses linux types instead of libc ones, this is a
> common pattern and there is no clean solution if users
> rely on that

> in such cases i try to keep updating sys/foo.h following
> linux/foo.h changes, but in musl i try to use libc types
> (e.g. if a field is __u64 then passing a pointer to it as
> uint64_t* may not be valid so the glibc way is quite
> problematic)

Although I understand a reasons for using fsid_t instead of __kernel_fsid_t (and
generally the approach of updating sys/foo.h), I still think that trying to
define a kernel structure in libc but using different members isn't really user
friendly :(.

> glibc fsid_t uses __val but the __kernel_fsid_t has val,
> musl could use a different type instead of fsid_t for
> fanotify that has __val, but it's a bit ugly, is there a
> reason to access fsid_t.val?

LTP fanotify tests access it. Understand, that LTP is not typical user-space
application (+ we can handle it either with autotools detection or just use
<linux/fanotify.h> instead of <sys/fanotify.h>).

Kind regards,
Petr

[1] https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/tree/master/testcases/kernel/syscalls/fanotify