Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 19:57:24 +0100
From: Augusto César Dias <augusto.c.dias@...il.com>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>, musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problems with libc6-compat

Yes, even rust has an official alpine image to compile rust applications on it, but it states some features won’t work such as procedural macros which some libraries makes use of. Here’s an issue stating what should be done...

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/40174#issuecomment-538791091

Augusto

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/40174#issuecomment-538791091

>>> On 8. Nov 2019, at 18:47, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 02:18:26PM +0100, Augusto César Dias wrote:
>> It is indeed. The problem is there are some features in the rust compiler
>> that are not supported in musl.
>
> Could you elaborate on that? My understanding is that several
> musl-based distros are shipping rustc and it's believed/expected to
> work fine, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Rich

>>> * Augusto César Dias <augusto.c.dias@...il.com> [2019-11-08 13:26:33
>>> +0100]:
>>> there is at least one known glibc quark bug
>>> https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/blob/master/main/glib/0001-gquark-fix-initialization-with-c-constructors.patch
>>> but that should be fixed in alpine, and in recent musl
>>> it should work even without patching, unless this is
>>> static linking.
>>> why do you need to cross compile?
>>> building natively on a musl based distro where all dependencies
>>> are correctly built and packaged should be much more reliable.

Content of type "text/html" skipped