Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 01:25:07 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: The time64 switchover has happened!

I just pushed the patch series switching 32-bit archs to 64-bit time.
Between now and next release, 32-bit archs' ABIs are intended-stable
but tentative, and could change before release, but I don't intend to
do that unless some serious unforseen problem is discovered during
testing and is impractical to fix without changing something.

The actual switchover commit is
38143339646a4ccce8afe298c34467767c899f51 and the series ends with
d6dcfe4d0c58856690ecbad4cf191d7c9ee1a4a8.

Now, it's time for testing. I've done some build and smoke tests of
OpenSSL, Python, Perl, strace, coreutils, busybox (git master needed
to fix time64 problems), and a few other packages, but large
distro-scale package builds will be the real test of how easy this
transition is going to be.

For distributions that aren't a "make world" sort of thing (mix of
package versions), I know there will be issues with mixing old and new
libraries and applications; I'm not sure yet how severe they'll be.
This would be very useful to have reports/feedback on. Such distros
should make preparations, and short of detailed research to determine
how much or little breakage there will be, should make users aware
that a global dist-upgrade operation (with all libs and apps rebuilt
for time64) is the safest and recommended way to move to the first
release that will incorporate time64 musl.