Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 23:12:47 +0200
From: Lukasz Majewski <lukma@...x.de>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: libc-alpha@...rceware.org, musl@...ts.openwall.com, Joseph Myers
 <joseph@...esourcery.com>
Subject: Re: time64 abi choices for glibc and musl

Hi Rich,

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 01:58:08PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Note: this email is to glibc list and particularly seeking feedback
> > from glibc folks, but CC'd to musl list as well.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, most time64 work/discussion on the glibc side
> > so far has been about implementation mechanisms and symbol-binding
> > ABI aspects, and one aspect that doesn't seem to have been
> > addressed is making good choices about the actual types involved.
> > Some of them have been done:
> >
> > struct timespec (endian-matching padding)
> > struct timeval (64-bit suseconds_t)
> > struct itimerspec, itimerval, utimbuf, timeb (obvious definitions)
> >
> > but I haven't seen a clear proposal with rationale for the choices
> > in defining:
> >
> > struct stat
> > struct msqid_ds, semid_ds, shmid_ds (sysvipc)
> > struct rusage
> > struct timex
> > struct utmp[x]
> >
> > [...]
>
> The wiki at https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Y2038ProofnessDesign
> does not seem to cover any of this issue,
> and the two branch links
> that should shed light on the types seem to be down/deleted:
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/aaribaud/y2038-2.26
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/aaribaud/y2038-2.26-rfc-2
>
> I'm guessing the following is the current one that should be linked
> instead, no?
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/aaribaud/y2038

The most recent development of this code - i.e. 2.29 glibc working with
warrior Yocto/OE can be found here:

https://github.com/lmajewski/y2038_glibc/commits/Y2038-2.29-glibc-warrior-01-08-2019

(At least on 32 bit system BSP build with Yocto/OE with glibc from above
link it is possible to set / read date beyond Y2038. However, there are
still some parts broken - like ping timestamps.)

> Rich

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@...x.de