Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 18:58:38 -0500
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Removing glibc from the musl .2 ABI

(Full disclosure: I am the principal author of gcompat.)

Hi,

Now that gcompat has matured, I was wondering if perhaps musl should
consider dropping the glibc ABI guarantees when the "2 ABI" lands.

This would make the LFS64 symbol mess completely moot.

It would also allow musl to "fix" a lot of dumb glibc decisions.  I'm
thinking specifically here of things like ctermid(3), which musl could
actually implement correctly if it wasn't being held back by glibc
defining L_ctermid as 9.

I'm aware this is probably controversial, and it will probably be shot
down quickly, but I thought I would at least suggest this as an option.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)