Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 03:36:19 -0500
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Revisiting 64-bit time_t

Overall this seems like a decent proposal. However...

On Jun 28, 2019, at 10:06 AM, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> However Y2038 is not all that far off, desktop/server distros really
> have rather little interest left in 32-bit archs (especially not
> coordinating a costly ABI swap just for them)

This is really incorrect.  We at Adélie are QUITE interested in 32-bit architectures including:

* 32-bit PowerPC
Still heavily used by people with Power Macs in addition to some people who run 32-bit userland on 64-bit POWER systems.

* 32-bit ARM
Widely, widely used in SoCs the world over, including the previous generation Raspberry Pi, the Pi Zero, many ODROIDs, and a great number of current and previous generation smartphones.

* 32-bit Intel
Of course you have the people with 32-bit binaries including Steam games (which would need something like gcompat to run on musl systems anyway), but you also have the people who cannot for whatever reason upgrade their hardware to a functional 64-bit system.  I personally know at least three people that are disadvantaged and still use a Pentium 4 era system as their only computer.

It’s not just us. The people at postmarketOS care very much about 32-bit ARM, since that is the majority of the hardware they are targeting. You also have Void Linux which supports all three of the arches I listed above.

Please, please do not write off 32-bit desktop usage.  Ubuntu does *not* speak for the wider community nor for the majority of Linux users.  And we, the distros named above, all hope to be able to support the people Ubuntu are wanting to abandon for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for researching this issue, for writing this proposal, and for all that you do in musl.

Best to you and yours,
—arw

--
A. Wilcox (Sent from my iPhone - not signed)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux

Content of type "text/html" skipped