Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 00:18:20 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Bruno Haible <bruno@...sp.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: gettext API question - null pointer issue again

Could you answer a question about the gettext API that's come up again
in the context of musl's implementation? The gettext manual documents
that for the message key argument to these functions:

    "If the argument is NULL the result is undefined."

https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Interface-to-gettext.html

And it looks like you've treated passing a null argument as a bug in
the past:

https://www.mail-archive.com/bug-gnulib@gnu.org/msg36249.html

It's come up again with GIMP doing it:

https://github.com/void-linux/void-packages/issues/12042

Should we continue to treat this as an application bug and ask the app
maintainers to fix it when it's found? That's my leaning but I want to
make sure we're still on the same page.