Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 23:14:47 +0200
From: Philipp Klaus Krause <krauseph@...ormatik.uni-freiburg.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Funktion for converting strings from / to UTF-16 and UTF-32?

I mostly agree with your opinion on the UTF-32 functions. They had been
added to the proposal in response to comments on earlier drafts. AFAIK
the addition of char32_t probably was in part a response to platforms
that do not use a UTF-32 wchar_t.
If the proposal is put up for straw poll at WG14 again, I'd suggest
separate polls for the UTF-16 vs UTF-32 functions.

For implementation experience, the UTF-16 functions is what matters.

I do consider the UTF-16 / char16_t functions to be quite useful.
UTF-16 is still quite relevant today. The format has found its way into
many specifications, such as USB and file systems so there are important
use case in converting from / to UTF-16.

Philipp