Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 12:12:00 +0530
From: vlse <vlse@...ra.biz>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: dalias@...c.org
Subject: Re: Supporting git access via smart HTTPS protocol for musl-libc

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 11:26:22AM -0600, Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2019-03-26 11:39 p.m., vlse wrote:

> >This does not works:
> >mkdir musl.git
> >cd musl.git
> >git init
> >git remote add -t master -m master origin
> >https://git.musl-libc.org/git/musl
> >
> >git-fetch gives errors:
> >   fatal: protocol error: bad line length character: erro
>
> Thanks for checking and for the detailed reproducer.
>
> This error tells me there is (again) a binary/text conflict,
>
> The (text) git protocol always starts with 4 hex digits
> indicating length. If the input is gzip'd and wasn't
> decompressed, the length indicator will be invalid.
>
> Digging further, it seems that in this case the "git fetch"
> command sent POST data which is *not* compressed.
> Forcing "CONTENT_ENCODING=gzip" always or for all POST request
> is not sufficient.
>
> I now use the following shell wrapper, which works for
> both "git clone" and your "git fetch" case.
> I won't claim it's pretty, but it works (with busybox httpd).
> The "echo>&2" will show up on webserver's error log.
>
> ----
> #!/bin/sh
>
> export GIT_HTTP_EXPORT_ALL=true
> export GIT_PROJECT_ROOT=/home/gordon/projects/
>
> echo START - $REQUEST_METHOD $PATH_INFO >&2
>
> # Check if POST data is text or binary, add HTTP header if needed.
> if test "$REQUEST_METHOD" = POST ; then
>     t=$(mktemp -t git-http-backend-XXXXXX)
>     # Store STDIN and examine it
>     cat - > $t
>
>     # Git (text) protocol starts with 4 hex digits indicating length.
>     # If the first 4 bytes aren't hexdigits, assume STDIN is compressed.
>     if head -c4 $t | grep -q '^[0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f]$' ; then
>         echo "POST data is not gzipped" >&2
>     else
>         echo "POST data is gzipped" >&2
>         export HTTP_CONTENT_ENCODING=gzip
>     fi
>
>     # restore STDIN
>     exec < $t
>     rm $t
> fi
> /usr/lib/git-core/git-http-backend
> echo END - $REQUEST_METHOD $PATH_INFO >&2
> echo >&2
> echo >&2
>
> ----
>
> As Rich said, there's got to be a better way...
>

> Regards,
>   -assaf

Hi,

I previously reported that doing git clone and then git pull was showing no errors.
git pull said "Already upto Date"

But when I did git pull again, I got the following errors:

 fatal: protocol error: bad line length character: erro

This was same error which I told when a fresh git fetch was producing.

The git pull actually invokes git fetch followed by git merge.
After a fresh clone and then doing git pull immediately does not invokes git fetch at all.

Regards,
Veera