Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 11:43:04 -0400
From: Drew DeVault <sir@...wn.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Supporting git access via smart HTTPS protocol for
 musl-libc

On 2019-03-26 11:13 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> The problem is that I don't know how to hook up the smart git http
> backend via cgi. Maybe you're suggesting running it on a separate
> httpd with haproxy doing the routing, but that's not compatible with
> TLS-layer (rather than HTTP-layer) use of haproxy, and the latter does
> not work with thttpd's cgi conformance issues, nor do I want to
> introduce further dependency on haproxy, which is a big hammer. I'd
> rather move in the opposite direction towards something like a
> non-broken version of stunnel.

After a more detailed study of thttpd, I understand why this is
difficult. Honestly, thttpd seems like a really antiquated and
inflexible httpd. I'd vote in favor of switching to nginx, in the
interest of having good before having perfect, with a plan to perhaps
port OpenBSD httpd or something similar.

However, the other suggestion of busybox httpd + git-http-backend seems
reasonable to me. It sounds like you were hoping to keep thttpd in play,
though, which seems folly to me.