Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 10:14:55 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: C Annex K safe C functions

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 11:24:08AM +0700, Jonny Grant wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 27/02/2019 17:50, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> >* Jonny Grant <jg@...k.org> [2019-02-27 10:30:52 +0700]:
> >>Not on the list, so please cc me in replies.
> >>Any plans to support Annex K?
> >>Those safe functions are great, strncpy_s etc
> >
> >i wonder why you think they are great,
> >if they are advertised anywhere as safe or
> >useful then that should be fixed.
> >
> >annex k is so incredibly broken and bad
> >that there is a wg14 paper about it
> >
> >http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1969.htm
> >
> >normally it's ok to add nonsense interfaces
> >for compatibility, but in this case there is
> >no widespread use and the api depends on global
> >state that causes implementation issues even
> >if we wanted to implement it.
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> Well I wouldn't disagree with experts. I should re-read that review though.
>
> However, I was not aware that these APIs have global state?
> (memset_s, memcpy_s, memmove_s, strcpy_s, strncpy_s, strcat_s,
> strncat_s, strtok_s, memset_s, strerror_s, strerrorlen_s, strnlen_s)
> - do they?

Yes. The action they take when a "runtime constraint violation"
happens is determined by global state. See K.3.6.1.1 The
set_constraint_handler_s function.

> strncpy_s is great, it avoids the bug in strncpy that could cause
> the buffer to not be terminated. It's better than the strlcpy BSD
> uses which truncates buffers.

This is not a bug in strncpy. It's strncpy's purpose being completely
different from what people are wrongly using it for. The strncpy
function is for working with fixed-size, null-padded data fields,
which are not C strings, and which went out of style in the 80s -- the
sort of things often cited in the Y2K problem fiasco. For the most
part, there is no modern use for strncpy. Naming a function with a
completely different purpose after it (strncpy_s) and implying it's a
"secure version of strncpy" contributes to this misconception that's
the whole reason people are wrongly using strncpy in the first place.

> BSD/OS X supports memset_s etc, but does not support
> set_constraint_handler_s

Most BSDs also support explicit_bzero, and musl does too. Providing a
function with the same name as one that's specified by some standard
we don't intend to support, but without fully compatible semantics, is
something musl generally tries to avoid.

> If issues, I'd support amending Annex K, rather than removing. It's
> good they check for NULL/nullptr, they return errno_t directly
> instead of the errno global kludge. Sticking with old APIs forever
> is difficult, but no one uses creat() anymore either.

Returning an error code is an okay choice when it works, but if you
try to apply it everywhere, it leads to severe bugs. The classic
example is allocator functions which don't return void* but instead
take a void** argument into which to store the result. Invariably
people call them with (void**)&ptr, where ptr does not have type
void*, and this is undefined behavior. In a worst case, on an
implementation where different pointer types have different
representations and sizes, it would be a buffer overflow.

This is kinda tangential to the Annex K issue, but the point is that
trying to push for a uniform "everything returns an error code"
convention introduce concrete harm for the sake of somebody's
preferred style, and as such is a really bad idea. A better convention
if you want to avoid errno is taking an int *errcode argument, but the
arguments against errno are generally pretty weak. Most of the time,
errno is the most efficient, in terms of simplifying readability and
flow of code, solution to the problem.

> Could I ask, does your libc follow POSIX spec to the letter? eg not
> checking pointers for NULL (where spec omits to mention checking
> pointers valid) ? eg this call which crashes glibc?
>
> puts(NULL);
>
> It looks like it will still SIGSEGV...
>
> https://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/src/stdio/puts.c

There is fundamentally no way to check a pointer for validity without
false negatives or false positives unless you have a fully memory-safe
C implementation with a runtime which tracks memory in much more
detail than even tools like ASan or valgrind do. Of course it's
possible to check for a null pointer as one special case, but then the
question is what you want to do with it. Unless you have a function
that's specified to treat null pointers specially somehow (e.g. strtol
doesn't store an end position of endptr is null), the caller has
invoked undefined behavior.

One commonly-requested behavior is to return an error. I've written
many times on why this is a bad choice, and wording based on my views
on it has even been integrated into the glibc wiki on the topic:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Style_and_Conventions#Invalid_pointers

    "If you return an error code to a caller which has already proven
    itself buggy, the most likely result is that the caller will
    ignore the error, and bad things will happen much later down the
    line when the original cause of the error has become difficult or
    impossible to track down. Why is it reasonable to assume the
    caller will ignore the error you return? Because the caller
    already ignored the error return of malloc or fopen or some other
    library-specific allocation function which returned NULL to
    indicate an error."

Generally, musl adopts a hardening approach of aiming to crash
(terminate with a fatal signal) as early as possible, and as directly
as possible, when undefined behavior has been detected. In most cases,
just dereferencing the potentially-invalid pointer is sufficient to
achieve this without explicit code for it. In other cases, where UB
can be detected without expensive (slow, complex, or error-prone)
runtime tests, musl has an explicit call to a_crash() for this. Some
examples are pthread_join (attempting to join a detached thread), free
(double free or heap corruption), and asctime (date string doesn't fit
in the buffer).