Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 19:24:57 +0000
From: "Laurent Bercot" <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: fgets() doesn't call fsync() before getting input

>I think it's more of an issue for the early examples in C books and
>tutorials, which invariably but inexplicably use a 1970s-era "prompt
>for input" model rather than argv[] or something that would be a lot
>more familiar (and amenable to testing) to modern readers.

  Early examples in C books and tutorials, and also in every academic
C course ever. I was taught C 25 years ago with the "prompt for input"
model; later, I gave advanced C classes to students who were taught the
"prompt for input" model 2 years before; and nowadays every newbie C
programming question that pops up in forums invariably comes with the
very same thing.

  C courses focusing on good practices are long, long overdue. -_-

--
  Laurent