Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 10:31:22 +0000
From: "jounijl@...oo.co.uk" <jounijl@...oo.co.uk>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "Arithmetic exception" with modulus operator '%'

Exactly. To be complite:

The host machine prints: "Floating point exception" and outputs a core
file. Uses: /lib/libc.so.7
The Alpine prints: "Arithmetic exception".  Uses: /lib/ld-musl-x86_64.so.1
Solaris 10 prints: "Arithmetic exception". Uses: /lib/libc.so.1 ;
/lib/libm.so.2
Ubuntu prints: "Floating point exception" and outputs a core file. Uses:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6

To the question "what do you except":
Of course the behaviour is similar to others and this is correct. As in
programs the behaviour would be best like this: number%zero would be the
number it self when number/zero is undefined or infinity (maby set the
number to the largest known number). To change this, some mathematical
evaluation would be needed. Answer: mod 0: Convenient would be the
number it self ?

Maby the core file has to be enabled somehow. Attached is a complite
test program. The word "trap" is unfamiliar to me. I think it means just
checking with an 'if'-like comparison.

Thank you for the replies. It helped. The simple facts are not always
obvious.

Jouni

the file:

$ cat m.c
#include <stdio.h>
int    main( int argc, char *argv[] );
int    main( int argc, char *argv[] ){
         unsigned int z = 0;
         unsigned int w = 0;
         //floating point exception: fprintf( stderr, "\n 0 %% 0 = %i",
(int) z%w );
         z = 1;
         //floating point exception: fprintf( stderr, "\n 1 %% 0 = %i",
(int) z%w );
         z = 0; w = 1;
         fprintf( stderr, "\n 0 %% 1 = %i", (int) z%w );
         z = 1; w = 1;
         fprintf( stderr, "\n 1 %% 1 = %i", (int) z%w );
}