Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 18:17:53 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Nick Bray <ncbray@...gle.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Contributing

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 01:50:46PM -0800, Nick Bray wrote:
> I have a few small patches to Musl I'm interested in upstreaming.
> What is the expected workflow?
>
> I assume the first step is "git send-email" to this list?

git format-patch with attachment(s) is preferred.

Commit messages should be formatted similar to other commits and
should explain motivation and observable effects of change.

> What happens next?

Comments from maintainer (myself) and community via the list. If
they're acceptable as-is, they're usually merged/pushed fairly
quickly. This is usually the case for clear bug fixes, fixes for
oversights of minor requirements, etc. If the patch is making major
invasive changes, adding new functionality, etc., though, there will
usually be more discussion and a need for motivation/justification.

> Is there a canonical list of compilers Musl needs to be compatible
> with?  Or a set of continuous integration servers?

Compatibility with particular compilers should not need to be a
consideration except when working on ports to new archs or existing
arch-specific code. The language for musl is C99 plus a very minimal
subset of "GNU C" features. If you have questions about use of
particular language features, don't hesitate to ask if they're okay.