Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 11:30:27 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bug in gets function?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 02:55:19PM +0000, Ponnuvel Palaniyappan wrote:
> >   Is gets(s) equivalent to scanf("%[^\n]%*1[\n]",s)?
>
> I think it has at least one minor issue: it doesn't null-terminate the
> buffer on empty input i.e., just a newline as input.

Indeed, I omitted what the logic for handling the return value of
scanf would be. But it also seems more complicated than we might like.
If input begins with a newline, it would also fail to consume the
newline without an additional call, and the additional call would make
the operation as a whole non-atomic with respect to the FILE lock,
which is what I was trying to avoid.

Here's an alternate proposal via direct implementation:

char *gets(char *s)
{
	size_t i=0;
	int c;
	FLOCK(stdin);
	while ((c=getc_unlocked(stdin)) != EOF && c != '\n') s[i++] = c;
	s[i] = 0;
	if (c != '\n' && !feof(stdin)) s = 0;
	FUNLOCK(stdin);
	return s;
}

Does this look ok? Of course it's slow compared to a fgets-like
operation on the buffer, but gets is not a usable interface and I
don't see any reason to care whether it's fast.

Rich