Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:52:28 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Combine musl compiled library with gcc app?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 10:41:38AM -0500, John Mudd wrote:
> Is it possible to link a gcc compiled app with a musl compiled library? I
> assume this would require linking with both glibc and musl libc libraries.

I think you mean glibc, not gcc. If you have built libraries with
musl, they are almost certainly not suitable for loading by glibc.
They will not reference any versioned glibc symbols so would get
ancient, buggy versions of the glibc functions. In some cases, types
will mismatch too because of this; on 32-bit archs for example the
standard-name functions in glibc taking off_t expect it to be a 32-bit
type.

The other direction, building a library with glibc and loading it with
musl, *is* intended to work in almost all cases as long as you're not
using glibc-specific functions or glibc-specific extensions to
standard functions which musl does not support.

Neither of these is a really good idea though. If you're capable of
building the code from source it makes sense to build it properly for
the target it's going to be run on.