Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 20:51:13 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mkfifo buffer exhibiting unexpected behaviour

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 08:08:00PM -0500, Steven Hum wrote:
> Running this simple test using clock from sutils to produce a repeating one second interval input stream..
>
> mkfifo fifo
> clock -i 1 -sf "T> stream one" >fifo &
> clock -i 1 -sf "D> stream two" >fifo &
> cat fifo
>
> on void musl only the second fifo input stream is displayed.
> on void glibc, both input streams are displayed interleaved as expected.
>
> Are fifo buffers handled differently under musl?

No, aside from possible stdio buffering it's entirely a kernel matter.
I looked up the sutils source and see it's flushing after each output,
and tried it on an Alpine-based box here (with musl) and could not
reproduce what you're seeing. Both outputs are visible and roughly
interleaved (although their order sometimes swaps with scheduling, of
course).