Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 15:38:06 -0600
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: <shadow.h> function: fgetspent_r

On 01/16/19 14:50, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 01:21:39PM -0600, A. Wilcox wrote:
>> Hi muslers,
>>
>> fgetspent_r[1] is a re-entrant version of fgetspent which stores all
>> strings in a caller-provided buffer to ensure that the memory is owned
>> by the caller instead of by the system.
>>
>> It is present in Solaris 9[2] and higher, and glibc[3] Linux.  It is
>> used by AccountsService[4].
>>
>> Is it possible to add this API to musl?  I could try to write it, if so.
>>
>> Best,
>> --arw
>>

>> [1]: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E88353_01/html/E37843/getspent-r-3c.html
>>
>> [2]: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19683-01/816-5214/6mbcfdl0v/index.html
>>
>> [3]: https://linux.die.net/man/3/getspnam_r
>>
>> [4]: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/accountsservice/commit/?id=14ca4245
>
> I don't see any good reason why it couldn't be added, but it doesn't
> look like a direct refactoring of the existing function since it uses
> the messy char[] buffer idiom like a bunch of other _r functions in
> this family.

What do you mean by "messy char[] buffer idiom"?  The buffer that is
meant to contain the strings is passed to the function (char *buf),
*not* returned by it.

> I'm also not sure what should happen if the next entry
> does not fit in the buffer. Should it discard the rest of the line and
> move on (not retryable) or attempt to seek back?

The Solaris docs specify:

fgetspent_r() [ ... ] return a pointer to a struct spwd if they
successfully enumerate an entry; otherwise they return NULL, indicating
the end of the enumeration.

The reentrant functions getspnam_r(), getspent_r(), and fgetspent_r()
will return NULL and set errno to ERANGE if the length of the buffer
supplied by caller is not large enough to store the result.

The glibc docs specify:

A pointer to the result (in case of success) or NULL (in case no entry
was found or an error occurred) is stored in *spbufp.

The reentrant functions return zero on success. In case of error, an
error number is returned.

ERANGE: Supplied buffer is too small.

It seems like "end of file" and "error" are treated the same.  In any
case, it would appear to me that it's UB to continue iterating once NULL
is returned.  I would personally leave the fp where it is (not rewind)
since all the other *get*ent functions don't rewind on error either.

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)