Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 00:02:25 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Use local time in syslog() function

* Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> [2019-01-14 15:27:26 -0500]:

> > >This is not a bug; rather, use of local time there in glibc and other
> > >systems is a bug. Local time varies by the sending process and
> > >produces inconsistent and uninterpretable log messages. Moreover the
> > >syslog() function is not specified to depend on the environment and
> > >thereby is not allowed to call any function whose behavior is
> > >dependant on the environment.
> >
> > Thank you for responding!
> >
> > I agree that GMT would have been a better choice, but I think local
> > time is also mandated by RFC 3164,
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3164#section-4.1.2 : "The TIMESTAMP
> > field is the local time". Or does this RFC not apply for syslog() on
> > Linux?

note that rfc is deprecated by

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5424

which has a timestamp format that always includes zone information
and i see no local time requirement any more, it also says

   The TIMESTAMP described in RFC 3164 offers less precision than the
   timestamp specified in this document.  It also lacks the year and
   time zone information.  If a message formatted according to this
   document needs to be reformatted to be in RFC 3164 format, it is
   suggested that the originator's local time zone be used, and the time
   zone information and the year be dropped.  If an RFC 3164 formatted
   message is received and must be transformed to be compliant to this
   document, the current year should be added and the time zone of the
   relay or collector MAY be used.

musl uses the old format, i don't know if existing tools depend on
this, if not then musl should use the unambigous timestamp format.