Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 16:48:20 +0100
From: Natanael Copa <ncopa@...inelinux.org>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Tarun Johar <tjohar@...alphase.com>
Subject: Re: DNS resolver patch

On Thu, 06 Dec 2018 15:53:43 +0100
Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com> wrote:

> * Tarun Johar:
>
> > The VirtualBox --natdnsresolver does not support IPv6 AAAA address
> > queries.  It returns "NotImp" (code 4) for such queries.
>
> I think that's not the only bug, and glibc fails to work around all of
> them.  We occasionally get bug reports about DNS resolution issues under
> VirtualBox, too.  Oracle really needs to fix this properly.
>
> Thanks,
> Florian

Problem is here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Devices/Network/slirp/hostres.c?rev=59202#L408

402	    if (   qtype != Type_A
403	        && qtype != Type_CNAME
404	        && qtype != Type_PTR
405	        && qtype != Type_ANY)
406	    {
407	        LogErr(("NAT: hostres: unsupported qtype %d\n", qtype));
408	        return refuse(pData, m, RCode_NotImp);
409	    }

They should return RCode_NXDomain instead of RCode_NotImp. Seems like
they also have more of those invalid use of NotImp.

-nc