Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 18:59:57 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Robert Högberg <robert.hogberg@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Unexpected regex behaviour

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 11:26:19PM +0100, Robert Högberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that the musl regex implementation behaves slightly
> differently than the glibc implementation. I'm attaching a short program
> showing the behaviour.
>
> The difference makes yate (http://yate.null.ro) misbehave when running with
> musl (reported here: https://github.com/openwrt/telephony/issues/378).
>
> Yate uses a regexp like this:
> "^\\([[:alpha:]][[:alnum:]]\\+:\\)\\?/\\?/\\?\\([^[:space:][:cntrl:]@]\\+@\\)\\?\\([[:alnum:]._+-]\\+\\|[[][[:xdigit:].:]\\+[]]\\)\\(:[0-9]\\+\\)\\?"
>
> ... to parse strings like:
> "sip:012345678@...111.11.111:5060;user=phone"
>
> ... and the matches produced by musl are:
> Match 0:  0 - 32        sip:012345678@...111.11.111:5060
> Match 1: -1 - -1
> Match 2:  0 - 14        sip:012345678@
> Match 3: 14 - 27        11.111.11.111
> Match 4: 27 - 32        :5060
>
> ... while glibc produces:
> Match 0:  0 - 32        sip:012345678@...111.11.111:5060
> Match 1:  0 -  4        sip:
> Match 2:  4 - 14        012345678@
> Match 3: 14 - 27        11.111.11.111
> Match 4: 27 - 32        :5060
>
> What do you think?
>
> I've only tested musl 1.1.19. Sorry if this is not valid for later
> releases. I skimmed the 1.1.20 release notes and didn't find anything regex
> related.

I haven't checked which of the extensions you're using are supported
in musl, but the above is not a conforming POSIX BRE. It would be a
lot more readable and portable to use POSIX ERE (REG_EXTENDED) which
has the +, ?, and | operators as standard features. This looks like it
should work:

The only reason to use POSIX BRE is if you need backreferences, which
are not regular and explicitly not supported in ERE.