Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 17:36:05 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: setrlimit hangs the process

* Rabbitstack <rabbitstack7@...il.com> [2018-09-25 16:54:37 +0200]:
> Sorry. Let me describe the problem in more detail.
>
> The process only hangs when launched without root privileges on the host
> (Arch Linux x64 with kernel 4.17.5-1) where Alpine docker container is
> running. Once with root privileges, it starts up correctly (but this is
> obvious since it doesn't hit setrlimit call). The odd side is that on other
> hosts it hangs even when started with root. No error messages so far.
> Strace output:
>
> $ sudo strace -p 9285
>
> futex(0x2cddfc0, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 0, NULL
>
> $ sudo strace -f -p 9285

> [pid  9287] getdents64(10, /* 14 entries */, 2048) = 336
> [pid  9287] tgkill(9285, 9285, SIGRT_2) = 0
> [pid  9287] futex(0x7efbff70008c, FUTEX_LOCK_PI_PRIVATE,
> {tv_sec=1537887068, tv_nsec=51442144}) = -1 ETIMEDOUT (Connection timed out)

it looks like musl tries to sync a setuid call across
all threads (which is necessary since the linux syscall
only changes the uid for the current thread instead of
all threads so you can end up with different privileges
in the same address space which is dangerous as well as
non-posix conform setuid behaviour)

it's possible that the setuid syncing is somehow wrong
in musl, but it's more likely that there are threads
that are not created by the c runtime (but from go) and
thus the sync cannot possibly work.

so try to look for where set*id is called and ensure it
is not called or called before any threads are created
(or at least before any go threads are created)

note that syscall.Set*id from go does not work either,
it does not sync the threads (which is dangerously
broken for a runtime that's always multi-threaded).